Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Train and its Tracks, Historical Division


I really had a problem with following the instruction: 'follow your senses'. I decided to follow my sense of intuition. One of my passions is learning about old technologies, I think we (myself included) often sell older technologies short. For example Photogrammetry is a mapping of using photography to measure distances accurately, people were developing the algorithms in the mid-nineteenth century. Anyhow, the train engine at the museum railway station is amazing, it has been kept clean and looks ready to leave the station. The train tracks were discussed as a way to divide the city into two different economic realms, East in Poverty, West in Affluence. That may be true, but could it be happenstance? One thing is historical fact, without the Railway and Coal, Carbondale would have never been. It would be somewhere else, or it would be nothing.

I knew then that my journey would be about cataloging and finding the edge conditions around Carbondale.

No comments:

Post a Comment