Saturday, January 23, 2010

So where was I?



After visiting with the Art students I really didn't know where to go for there. I randomly found these cool people, I didn't want things to go all boring. At the intersection of Mill and Washington I was just heading south without thought. I decided to go in a direction I've never gone from that intersection and headed east. Ending up behind the Rec Center, unsurprisingly! I did find the local soup kitchen though, I had no idea that it was right there. But when someone sprays this on the sidewalk on the way to it:

...it is really no surprise I didn't notice it before. If there is a current underclass in America, it is the homeless, there are millions of them, they are also beneath our collective radar.

There was also a very interesting edge condition happening on the road to the parking lot behind the rec center.

I've wondered who maps edge conditions in the real world. Here is a real world example put out by a consulting firm.

Anyhow, the road was all busted up and beat to hell , then there was a narrow concrete strip and then the road looked all nice and neat again. Next to this was the sign "End of City Maintenance". I surmise that the nice section was under SIUC's jurisdiction. Naturally there are these little borders all over the place but I think that was only the third time I've ever paid attention to see one. It is rare, like one side of drive being rained on, and the other side being dry. It happens everywhere, all the time, but few experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment